Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Why Don't You Get A Job?
“Get a job” is the best, if not most practical advice, I have ever received. Sure it may sound harsh, but to me, it makes perfect sense. One day when I came home from school, I learned that my mom had gotten the new car she had been talking about getting. Naturally, I was quite excited even though I do not enjoy driving and the car is for her, not me. However, I was not as happy when I remembered that our insurance rates also went up because we had gotten a new car and because my brother and I were new drivers. My mom had told us that we would have to start contributing $50 a month to help cover the increase. With my flawed sense of the value of money, I thought it would be easy to do this. After all, I thought, video games cost about $50 and I have plenty of those, so there would be no problem. I later realized several flaws in my plan. First, before this, my average weekly income was somewhere around 5 dollars. This means that each month, I would lose $25-30 paying for the insurance. Second, I did not get a new video game every month with the money that I had earned during that month. It takes a while to earn the money to buy video games, especially on $5 a week. Third, I would not have enough money to cover both the rise in insurance rates and video games, which could lead to some hard decisions. Then, my mom gave told me something that I will never forget. She told me that I should get a job. Besides work in the summer on my grandma’s farm, I had never had a paying job before. I thought about it was very excited. I could hardly imagine what I could do with all of the money I would earn from my new job. Actually, I could imagine it, and it involved paying for insurance and video games. After applying to several stores that I wanted to work at like Gamestop and Borders, my mom persuaded me to apply to other places, like Christmas Tree Shop and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. After searching unsuccessfully for a while, my mom volunteered me to mow the lawn of someone from our church. At first, I objected, but after remembering my predicament, I hesitantly agreed. Having mown that lawn, and another one that I was also volunteered for, weekly for a few months, I can easily say that it is good to have a job, because while working, I learned that there is never anything wrong with having more money.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment